Olive Juice Music Forum

Author   Comment  
B

Reply with quote  #1 
The site doesn't allow me to copy and paste an excerpt.

http://www.onstagemagazine.com/why-musicians-should-never-donate-their-talents/

Jeffrey Lightning Lewis

Reply with quote  #2 
There is so much wrong with that article I can't even begin to deconstruct it.  The writer is a serious cynical d-bag with a barfy reactionary chip on his shoulder.  
What would Pete Seeger do...  surely the exact opposite of everything this writer would do.  I suspect there's a reason I've never heard of this writer's band - what's art without heart? 
B

Reply with quote  #3 
 I saw it more as a mix.

To me, he made a decent point regarding certain charities putting on an event to make money and paying the bartenders, etc.
 The reduced rate thing makes sene to me, under the right set of circumstances.

Problem I have with a lot of this kind of thing is that no two situations are alike.
 For myself, I might would be totally inspired to play for free for one cause/charity, but not another.
 There might be some I wouldn't play no matter how much they paid me.

@Jeffrey Lightning Lewis
  There's a lot I could say.
 Bottom line for me is: You have to follow your heart, and that doesn't lead to any cookie cutter response to every circumstance.
  My guess is you are like me, in that you don't (or wouldn't, if asked) blindly say yes or blindly say no.

B

Reply with quote  #4 
 There is an interesting little article in the Village Voice this week called New Model about a band not using a record company, excpet one they made for themselves.
 I know it's been done but there was some interesting stuff in the article.

New Model: Big Business On Life After Record Labels

L.A. heavies Big Business strike out on their own

http://www.villagevoice.com/2014-02-19/music/big-business-gold-metal-records/

Jeffrey Lightning Lewis

Reply with quote  #5 
No big surprise... although it would have been more interesting to have them discuss the actual figures involved, like how much exactly did the album cost to record and manufacture?  What was the break-even point, since they are proud of now being in the black?  One problem with any of this stuff is that nobody wants to discuss the figures, out of a reasonable sense of self-preservation.  For example, I talked about some financial stuff like this when the NY Times interviewed me - shortly after the article saw print I was contacted by the IRS and audited for the two most recent years.  Was that connected to the article?  I have no idea.  Anyway, as we know in the antifolk world, there's a lot of quality music that goes entirely outside the scope of the media.  Promotion and distribution are, as we all know, entirely separate from reality and quality and artistic value.  
One thing that would be interesting to know - how many HOURS did any album take to make?  Exactly how much studio time was needed to make each Rolling Stones album?  Each Kanye West album?  Each Nirvana album?  Each Sonic Youth album?  Each Velvet Underground album?  Etc etc etc.  That would be very interesting to me.  
It would also be interesting to see some kind of list of the most successful CHEAPLY MADE albums of all time.  The first Ramones album is a famous example, and I'm sure the Moldy Peaches album is probably a notable example of an extremely cheap-to-make album which sold some decent numbers.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!