Olive Juice Music Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
B

Reply with quote  #1 
 What would happen to a great band that toured and released product but did not participate in online activities?
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
You would either not ever hear about them or they would have to hire a publicist to advertise on radio, TV or in the print for them. Or they could have something like a fanclub that could do it for them? At this point it feels kind of like not using the telephone or touring on a horse drawn wagon vs a van. The convenience and access that using the Internet provides a band, just starting out, at little to no cost is just way too enticing. It's a really big world out there. There are thousands of great bands using the internet every day that you will never hear of.
B

Reply with quote  #3 
While there are differences, like the fact that he was already a former seasoned journalist and author of numerous books, Chris Hedges does not tweet and he does not have a web site. He never has.
 He is in demand as a speaker, writes and sells best sellers, and writes a weekly essay, which truthdig.com publishes online.
 I have never known him to make a comment in any comment section anywhere.
 Basically, he does not ask people to not put his stuff online and even contributes to online publications, but he does not self-promote, tweet, or comment.
 He is considered way more important than plenty of folks that constantly blog, tweet, and comment, and is much more respected than plenty of people that do all that.
 He reads books, and spends 3-4 hours a night reading.

Perhaps this a pretty decent way to go, not keeping your stuff offline on purpose but staying out of it personally.
 Bottom line is, he makes time to read books, and has no web site or tweet account, and he is successful and relatively happy.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
I guess I'm confused at what your goal is? Is it to get more people to hear you? Is it to make a living? Is it to help people? Is it to stay off the Internet?
B

Reply with quote  #5 

Is it to get more people to hear you?

No.

Is it to make a living?

That's sort-of tough to answer, but maybe not.

Is it to help people?

Yes.

It might would be helpful to others to be shown another way.

Question:
  How many are being affected negatively (if any), on a spiritual/health level by their involvement with it?

Is it to stay off the Internet?

Well, that's what I am attempting to figure out.
 When/If you build a boat in the desert people might say you're crazy, but then if it starts flooding you come across as having been pretty bright afterall.
 There are some negatives to using the internet, not the least of which is the fact that horrible damage has to be done to the environment to build the computers themselves and to keep the infrastructure up and running.
 Bottom line for me is, was I born to set an example in this area?
 How important is this particular issue to me?
 I personally could get very interested in a great band that didn't use the internet to promote their band.
 "Great" being a key word.

olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
To me it's kind of like knowing if a band uses a car or or a telephone. It doesn't really mean so much. What really matters is the work. I remember hearing about a band called Bicycle that would only play gigs where they could bicycle to. Okay, kind of a cool idea. I gave them a shot. They sounded okay. But in the end they weren't "so" good that it made me wanna seek them out and wanna follow them. In the end I would speculate that an artist who doesn't use the Internet as some kind of statement would easily be construed as just another marketing gimmick, which party defeats the point. I think?

All I can say is that I hope you don't stay totally off the Internet because I really enjoy our discussions here! Actually, I wish you spent even more time spreading the word of your music here because I think it's really good. [comp]
B

Reply with quote  #7 
Well, with sales of about 4 for every recording I put out, you are in an incredibly small minority, regarding liking what I do.
 It takes extremely high levels of self-confidence to not see myself as a fool, a joke, and a guy without a clue.

It also ain't easy to be sitting in a room with 40 other people waiting to be interviewed for some grunt job while songs by people you know waft out over the store's stereo system.
 I understand it, and I am happy for my friends and fellow past and/or present Sidewalkers. Still, that's some intense shit.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
I think more people like your music than you think . And as far as selling music well that's almost a full time job in itsself so I wouldn't let that be a gauge for how good you are.

Something I came up with recently: When it comes to art and commerce someone has to see the value in what you are doing in two ways. 1. People are moved and they find value in associating themselves with what you are doing by either purchasing a copy of your art or seeing you perform live or 2. Your art serves as a vehicle for some other transaction or product. Number 1 is the job of the artist. That is a given but, unfortunately, rarely generates enough revenue  on it's own (especially in the age of free music) to survive on. You have to cultivate some type of fame to get number 2 to start working for you. How you decide to do that and still have a conscience is part of the game. It's a journey of investments and returns. I know it sounds like a business, because it is. You may get a lucky break here or there but if you wanna make it your life it doesn't just happen. At some point you have to engage yourself in the process.
B

Reply with quote  #9 
 I was just thinking the other day about how much music I listen to for free these days.
 I have my cd collection, and I buy a new cd once in a while, but I do listen to a lot of songs on YoutubeTM.
 Last week, I found out about the drill rap scene in Chicago, and I was interested in hearing some of the music coming out of that scene.
 I didn't buy a singe thing, but instead I watched about 20 YoutubeTM videos.

olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #10 
See... and now I'm gonna go do the same thing because of you (and the Internet).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!