Olive Juice Music Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
thomaspatrickmaguire

Reply with quote  #1 
Did anyone read Kim Gordon's new book. Girl In the Band?

I'm reading it now. And I'm really digging it. I was always a Sonic Youth fan so I guess I was going to like it no matter what.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Dude I totally wanna check it out. I just heard her on Marc Maron's WTF podcast and I think it was the most revealing and relaxed interview I've ever heard her give. I learned a lot about and my appreciation continues to grow.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_588_-_kim_gordon
thomaspatrickmaguire

Reply with quote  #3 
I heard the Podcast too. There is also a cool interview with Kim G. and Carrie B. But she doesn't seem as open.

olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah, I heard the Brownstein interview as well as the one on Fresh Air and I found them both slightly off putting. I think she was just perhaps a little nervous. I think there is art to interviewing and being interviewed in a way. The one with Maron is quite good. It totally expanded my appreciation for her even more than it already was, which is saying a lot. Kim Gordon was my first girl in a band crush. Sort of a love/ sadness relationship from afar because she seemed so "Cool" and yet unattainable and detached. I thought that's what cool was. It was fascinating to hear, in the Maron interview, that she pretty much had the opposite view of herself for most of her career. Funny how people can perceive themselves totally differently than how the public perceives them.

On another note, my 45th birthday is coming up and I struggle a lot, internally mostly, with the idea of aging and being an artist. I love the fact that KG is 61 and showing no signs of slowing down (I hate that expression by the way but I couldn't think of a better one). It's truly inspiring to me. Another good interview:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/kim-gordon-sonic-youth-memoir/54e4bc042b8c2adbdf000742
thomaspatrickmaguire

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh no. I finished reading Kim Gordon's book and wrote a whole sort of thing on it and Richard Hell's book I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp too. But it didn't post. Now I can't get it back. Bummer. Well, they are both great reads.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!