Olive Juice Music Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
B

Reply with quote  #1 
 This is awesome.

"I beg journalists & members of the media to avoid writing to me; they should get in contact with the publishers if they need to. Also, no documentary films, no newspaper articles, no interviews beyond book launches. I write only books and technical papers; I do not wish to have a public life or public intellectual life outside of mandatory book-related events."

"Lectures and lecture requests (Please refrain from offering honorary degrees, awards, listings in "100 most...",& similar debasements of knowledge that turn it into spectator sport)."

olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Why would a care about this person? 
B

Reply with quote  #3 
He's done a lot, written some great books, and is contacted quite a bit by con artists and idiots, mostly for selfish reasons.
 He's not seeking a public life, outside of his work, and is a well-known intellectual that receives a lot of silly requests.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Looks like an interesting guy. I'm intrigued by what i just read in his Wikipedia page.

According to this he's also been a hedge fund manager which means he's probably pretty rich. As with many things, I imagine the options for controlling your own PR are more prevalent when you're rich. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

I think it's all well and good to not engage with the social media or the press. But I think there are those out there that are good and have something to say who can benefit from them. I think this guys sounds more like an academic. An academic follows a pursuit for it's own sake, greater good, or to teach. They get paid a salary for that. I think an "artist" or at least a working artist is different. Allmost by definition a working artist must have some sort of "public persona."

B

Reply with quote  #5 
I think an "artist" or at least a working artist is different. Allmost by definition a working artist must have some sort of "public persona."
----olivejuicemusic

I'd be interested in seeing lots of comments and debate on this topic. (Not going to happen, just saying.)
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Me too. I love it when you quote me. I miss that. [comp]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!