Olive Juice Music Forum

Author   Comment  
B

Reply with quote  #1 
I doubt it.

Unless he was set up and killed, the man chose to murder himself and leave his kids to wait for him to pick them up.

While I see all suicide as a cop out, I have quite  abit of sympathy for someone like Aaron Swartz, who had broken the law in the name of a just cause and was facing a potential prison sentence.
 I still don't advocate suicide, but Aaron's case at least gives me slight pause.

I know nothing about Philip or his acting, but wasn't he rich and popular?

Is it interesting that a wealthy famous guy overdosed on heroin?
 Not to me it isn't.

There are millions of people that choose to live life, as hard as it may be.
 There are artists that keep making art, some of it more controversial than anything Philip may have done. These people sometimes barely have enough money to survive on, and they are not fawned over by the press. They quietly and steadfastly go about their business and some of them not only do not overdose or kill thmeselves in some other way, but they face life's hardships sober.

I know plenty of charismatic people with acting, painting, and musical talents, that make a conscious decision every day to not stick a knife ito the big vein in their wrist, but instead take abuse, are laughed at, make little money and make art for the common good, contributing what they can, to our spiritual benefit.

These are the people that interest me.

Where is an article on Toby Goodshank, still alive, still making great art, yet not being fauned over or praised by the big media outlets.

Based on what I know, which all could be wrong, I am not interested in this actor having killed himself.
 That was not a good example to set, and it doesn't inspire me.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Toby Goodshank interview is on the way. Just gotta put it together.
B

Reply with quote  #3 
Yae!
Jeffrey Lightning Lewis

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah
Jeffrey Lightning Lewis

Reply with quote  #5 
Wasn't P.S. Hoffman going to play Daniel Johnston in a Daniel Johnston biopic that was being made a couple years back?  Did that get made?  I remember hearing about it ages ago.  
Jeffrey Lightning Lewis

Reply with quote  #6 
Okay well... here's an article from the Guardian from March 2010.  I guess this movie project probably never did get off the ground, as happens so often...

Philip Seymour Hoffman could be in the running to play Daniel Johnston in an upcoming biopic, the film's writer/producer said this week. David Miller has begun work on an "epic superhero story" about the splendid and troubled singer, which Miller hoped would also feature Johnny Depp.

"It doesn't really cover any of the same stuff as The Devil and Daniel Johnston documentary," Miller told Pedestrian.tv (via TwentyFourBit). The director, who is in the midst of pre-production, finishing the screenplay and approaching possible actors, added: "There's so many people reaching out that are huge Daniel Johnston fans. Philip Seymour Hoffman and John C Reilly for example. Johnny Depp's a big Daniel Johnston fan, though we'd like him to play the older brother."

Miller is currently promoting My Suicide, an indie comedy he wrote with his son, Jordan. The soundtrack includes original music by Devendra Banhart and MGMT, as well as older tunes by TV on the Radio, the Pixies and Radiohead. "When Radiohead agreed everyone pretty much agreed," Miller recalled.

The idea is for My Suicide's star, Gabriel Sunday, to direct and star in the Daniel Johnston film, but he will perhaps only play "young Daniel". "It's going to be an epic superhero story and it's going to be a narrative biopic," Miller said. "We [might be] putting Gabriel in a fat suit."

Daniel Johnston, 49, released his 44th album last year.

olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
That would have been interesting.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!