Olive Juice Music Forum

Author   Comment  
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

Let's talk about this here!

(Taken from last FB post about the subject) Sure political docs aren't your thing maybe try reading the book: What's the Matter with Kansas? https://www.facebook.com/.../Whats-the.../104015009636560 That's a good one. The problem is you are not going to see a pro Koch brothers documentary. And the reason is the same reason it's already so difficult to see an anti Koch brothers documentary or much of anything about the Koch brothers. It is because they don't want people to look closely at what they are doing. Believe me being from Kansas I get really sick of outspoken liberals who just preach to the choir and bash the Midwest or the South.. whatever. But I think the Koch thing ties into the whole concept of wealth disparity which I believe to be one the most important issues in the world of at least the past two or three decades. Show your support here: http://watch.citizenkoch.com/

Chris Andersen

Reply with quote  #2 
I agree that wealth disparity is a huge issue facing the world today, which is not to say that I'm against any kind of wealth disparity, but it's gotten out of hand. And, of course, a lack of transparency in the goings on in our political system hurts everybody. Like, if there was a way to show this to supporters of the Koch brothers, I would definitely be for that. I just feel like we get so much more out of discourse than we do out of pieces like this. Ultimately, they seem to end up further polarizing things, which I think is the other huge issue facing the world today (or at least America, I don't know what it's like on that front every where else). Like, will showing this to its intended audience only end up making the Right seem even more monstrous and make the possibility of moving all of America away from political extremism even more remote? Maybe?
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
I get where you're coming from. I agree that films like these run the risk of just polarizing people more. But if we're to say that "polarizing" is just another word for having strong differing opinions then I would say things aren't polarized enough, at least when it comes to getting people off their butts to change things.

If we step back from this a little, despite all of the negativity directed at the government, compared to periods like the Vietnam war or say the Equal Rights Movement, or the Civil War or lot's of points the history of the US...I think people are pretty complacent when it comes to the government. The really odd thing that I find is that, though culturally (it seems), we are more liberal in general as a society, politically a lot of things are more conservative than they were 30 years ago. It just doesn't add up.

I think it has something to do with this despair in government. Which I believe is propagated by the rich and conservative. Of course they want you to to believe that government is broken and there is nothing you can do about it. It keeps you out of their way. There is a lot of talk in the past 20 or 30 years about the failure of government, which I think is totally ridiculous because not a day goes by in which everyones life is probably enriched either directly or indirectly countless times by government: clean water, clean air, roads, schools, police, fire department, postal service, the Internet, food regulations, working conditions...the list goes on and on. You ever wonder why republicans are the biggest proponents of anti government propaganda yet they have no problem investing billions of dollars in political campaigns to try and pass legislation that favors their constituents? I hear so much talk from the conservative side about budgeting and how throwing money at a problem isn't the right way to fix it. Well, they certainly don't seem to have that policy when it comes to investing in republican representative campaigns or governmental policies like "right to work" or "oil drilling" or "anti-energy renewal policies."
Chris Andersen

Reply with quote  #4 
It never occurred to me, the idea that a political party might actively be trying to disgust voters into despair in order to discourage them from voting. Not that I necessarily think that's what is happening, but it's an interesting idea. The RNC gathering in their secret enclaves over cognac and baby's blood, wiggling their sausage-like fingers in delight over the plan to disenfranchise an entire generation of their opponents by acting so incredibly shitty that the whole system looks broken. 

To me, the problem with a polarized society, is that, while it might be one where people are more active in attempting to fuel change, it's one where people have stopped making decisions guided by reason and started making decisions guided by passion. While that's a fine way to live one's private life, it's a very dangerous way to have the masses run a government, because it makes them very easy to manipulate. You call your opponent a nazi, you reveal a scandal in their private lives or say their policies will result in the end of the free world as we know it, whatever, these things drive people's passions up. I would say that if you're acting in a way you're being manipulated to act, that you're involved in a way that you're being manipulated to be involved, then you're not really a participant. You're just another cog in a machine. I would say that's the really danger of the polarizing effect of our current political climate; it turns democracy into mob rule.
olivejuicemusic

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Just watched a really good doc called Park Avenue on Netflix that might tie some of these things together. I liked the film because it's not just your typical Republican bashing, dark side, liberal propaganda that you're talking about. It talks a little more about the affects of great wealth on people. The is a section about Chuck Schumer (Democratic Senator), one of the best known liberals in the senate, and how his Wall Street fund raising has affected his politics in a subtle yet very powerful way. You can watch the whole film here.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!